First Presbyterian Church

About First Presbyterian Church

First Presbyterian Church of Albemarle

The First Presbyterian Church of Albemarle, North Carolina, was organized by Mecklenburg Presbytery on March 18, 1898, with 11 charter members. Their first minister was the Reverend M. C. Arrowood, who was paid the grand sum of $64.00 for his first year's work. He also served the Norwood Church. Two years later the first sanctuary was erected on the southwest corner of North and First streets, diagonally across from the present building. By 1913 the congregation had grown sufficiently to become self-supporting.

Larger facilities were needed. The present sanctuary/educational building was completed in 1924, and dedicated in 1942 when it was debt-free. An additional educational building was built in 1967, with classrooms on the first floor and a gymnasium/fellowship hall on the second. The sanctuary was renovated in 1977. In March of 1985, the congregation voted to proceed with an extensive remodeling of the main building. The project was completed in June of 1987. In addition to the renovation of the existing rooms, an elevator, new staff offices, and a chapel with stained glass windows were added. Then in 1998, the congregation once again chose to undertake a massive renovation to restore the sanctuary to its original design. On Sunday, April 18, 1999, the congregation returned to the beautiful sanctuary which you will find today.